CBD is now the superstar ingredient in any new product on the market, from beverages, food, and snacks to personal lubricants! Yet, just because it’s everywhere doesn’t mean CBD is well understood.
Carey Clark, Ph.D., RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, the director of the nursing program and chair of the medical cannabis program at Pacific College of Health and Science, explains that “Cannabidiol is one of more than 100 different cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant.1”
There are three varieties of CBD:
- Full-spectrum: contain all the goodies, including the trace (less than 0.3%) amount of THC naturally found in hemp.
- Broad Spectrum: has been refined to further remove all traces of THC, so these are THC-free.
- Isolate: are highly refined extracts that are nearly 100% pure CBD
“These cannabinoids interact directly with our body system known as the endocannabinoid system (ECS) and might help support our health.1” Initial research and self-reports suggest that there are better results from using full-spectrum and broad-spectrum products1.
How do you take it?
- this includes vaping and any smoking
- The lungs absorb and carry the cannabinoids into the bloodstream very quickly
- Smoke for 5-15 minutes and the effects can last up to six hours
- Drops, strips, and tinctures (liquid extracts)
- This method is favored by doctors because it allows for control of dosing
- Using this method bypasses the gastrointestinal tract altogether, increasing bioavailability
- Patches, creams, lotions, sprays, and balms
- Can be effective at calming skin conditions and treating localized pain and inflammation
- The inserts melt and are absorbed quickly into the bloodstream, making the on-set faster than edibles with more staying power than inhalation.
- Anything you can eat or digest from gummies, capsules, and cocktails.
- The onset can be 60-90 minutes and the effects can last up to 8 hours.
Why take CBD?
Some scientific studies confirm it may ease symptoms of ailments like chronic pain and anxiety and it’s gaining momentum in the health and wellness world.
Here are six health benefits of CBD oil that are backed by scientific evidence.
- Can relieve pain
- Could reduce anxiety and depression
- Can alleviate cancer-related symptoms
- May reduce acne
- Might have neuroprotective properties
- Could benefit heart health
As we navigate the world of cannabis together, remember to do your research and take your time. The road to wellness is not one-size-fits-all.
Catch you on the greener side!
1Goldhagen, S. (2021). CBD 101. The Complete Guide to CBD.